Saturday, April 23, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Deployment day has arrived. We have been waiting for this day for months. Aaron began his active duty in January so that he could prepare and take classes. No matter how long you have to plan and prepare your never really ready. Aaron boarded the plane today with about 250 others, some of which he deployed with five years ago. I talked with other wife's and watched many children waiting to tell their mommy or daddy goodbye. I kept telling myself, I'm not alone. For some reason I thought since I have traveled down this road before it would be easier this time, it's not. Saying goodbye was hard. 

The time of departure day changed from Wednesday to Friday then from early morning to late evening. The Davis Family invited Alec to go to Islands of Adventure on Friday. When the departure day changed, we had to make a decision, should Alec stay and see Aaron off or go have some fun.  We decided it would be best for him to go have some roller coaster fun, after all he's 12.  Aaron was able to see Alec off at 6:15 AM then he reported to NAS to check in. After he checked in he was free for the day and needed to return at 3:00 PM.                        

 By the look of that smile we made the right choice. Thanks Matt & Peggy!  




Aaron rushed home so he could help Baby Bryce hunt easter eggs. It worked out perfect.  He spent the day with Bryce then said goodbye when he put him down for his afternoon nap.    




I drove Aaron out to NAS for his 3:00 muster. I was able to hang out at the unit for about an hour. This is like one of the boats Aaron will be working on. I'm sure we can look forward to many more pictures of the boat in action.  
   They finally started boarding the plane at sunset, destination Maine. I talked with Aaron around                  Midnight and they were getting ready to take off, next destination Shannon, Ireland. At this point I will wait for a email.    I don't know when he'll be back again ...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day to remember, bittersweet is the best way to describe it, Bryce did look awfully cute walking with his daddy looking for eggs :-)

    ReplyDelete