Friday, April 29, 2011

First Impressions....from Aaron


First Impressions
What has jumped out at me first isn’t the locals and their attire, not the dirt (that’s right, dirt, not sand) that’s everywhere, or not how modern the city can be in spots. It is the smells. Every place has its very unique smell, some pleasant and some dreadful.
Don’t misunderstand me. Jacksonville has its array of smells, from the sea foam at the beach to the coffee factory downtown. There are some not so pleasant smells also, everyone knows I have been responsible for a few. But here the aromas are different.  I know it sounds silly, but they are "foreign". I had no idea there could be new smells.
While walking outside a hint of sweet flower floats by. Enter a building and it’s the fragrance of some kind of spice. Get on the bus and I don’t even want to know what that smell is.
The short of it is if I can notice the smells things are bearable. I am slowly settling in and getting adjusted. Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and prayers. It humbles me to know that so many people have concern and an interest. 
Thanks again.
OS1(EXW) Berrier, James A.

No comments:

Post a Comment